Thank you, thank you and thank you again for all of your work and for being so lovely to have in the room this week.
Callback invites are going out now...they will all be out before 3pm today.
Below is updated 411 for the Final Producer Callback tomorrow, 3/22. I have three requests:
1) Be sure to clear any and all potential conflicts/issues before you confirm your audition.
2) Enjoy tomorrow. You have earned the right to have some fun now!
3) Please please please leave yourselves time and travel down safely tomorrow with the rain. Be safe and know that we just want you there in one piece.
Ever grateful, Julia
GENERAL INFORMATION AND UPDATES: 3/21 2:50pm
* Callback invitations have been sent. Please check your email and/or check in with your agents. Confirmations before 5pm today please. Thank you!
* We are requesting that everyone be off book so you can really play. Please feel free to keep the side with you if you need to, but the more engaged and off the page you can be...the better.
* LES: Sides #1, #3 and #4 and singing "Carrying the Banner"
* DELANCEY BROTHERS: If we asked you to prep a Delancey Brother side, please prepare the
separate side given/posted as well as the Delancey Bros. lines
within that Newsie side 1.
* Bowery Beauties/Hannah: There is a new Nun side in the DB file. Prep the line with an Irish accent please :).
* Updated Dance Call 411 below...
* If you have whole versions of your songs, please be prepared to sing straight through just in case Ricky needs to hear al of it. Thank you!
* DAVEY AND NEWSIES: I recorded Brent playing "Seize the Day" (Davey) and "Carrying the Banner" (Newsies). Both are in your DB files so please check there. I did this in the hopes that it will give my Newsies a bit more vocal confidence and posted Davey's because someone asked for it so now you all benefit. Hope this helps!
* We are no longer accepting video auditions. * Please be sure to bring your music book and picture and resume (even if you have been in already). * AUDITION ATTIRE: Please put some thought into your outfit, hair and make up for the audition. This includes the Bowery Beauties and our Newsies. It's 1899...
* NEWSIES: You have all of the right notes or you wouldn't be moving forward. Now I am counting on you to work this until you find the confidence you need to sing these songs without thinking about it. I trust you and your instincts, so it's time for you to do the same!
Same thing with the choreo. Work on it beforehand (this includes specific character choices as well) so you can just play and enjoy on the 20th. :)
* KATHERINE AND DAVEY: Just a heads up...Ricky may ask you to come to the women's dance call on Tuesday the 20th at 11am. This would be for the women's choreo and (for Katherine) the King of NY tap. No tap for Davey.
* Read the script please. This should be a no brainer, but thought I would give a gentle nudge here to be sure :)
* LES: Will need to have a Bflat. No wiggle room. PLEASE do not
coach your child or hire someone else to coach him.
* CHARACTER NOTES: We have added a section below with character notes. Please read through before your audition.
* You must be available for all dates listed below (rehearsal and run) and be fine with the contract in order to audition.
will be equity and non-equity contracts.
Rehearsal: 5/15 Open: 6/1 Close:
There are no understudies so you cannot miss performances and it is doubtful that you would be released from rehearsals for more than a few hours. Please clear any and all conflicts with Casting BEFORE you confirm your appointment.
Equity: $835/week Non Equity: LMT-$1,000
Please clear any/all
conflicts with casting via email info@Florescasting.com before you submit
your video or confirm your audition.
AUDITION DATES/LOCATION/WHO WILL BE THERE:
* March 22nd: Producer Callbacks Location:
La Mirada Rehearsal Hall 15519 Phoebe Avenue La Mirada.
Plenty of parking in front and on street.
Will Be There:
Producers: Tom and Cathy McCoy
LMT Producing Artistic Director: BT
Music Director: Brent
Casting Director: Julia Flores
Casting Assistant/Reader: Kelley
Associate Choreographer: Anthony
Raimondi Accompanist: Ryan O'Connell
* Review jazz combination * Small Groups
* Sing and read
(Hannah and Nun side)
NEWSIES/DELANCEY BROTHERS: By invitation only 3:45 until no later than 7pm I promise to only keep you as long as we need to, but with Ricky here for just this week...we have quite a bit of work to do. You don't have to pack an overnight bag, but some snacks for energy might be good :) Thank you so much!
* Review jazz combination
* Small Groups * Tricks * Tap * Sing "Carrying the Banner" * Read side 1 (Newsie) and Delancey Brother side if asked yesterday (look at the separate side given and also be ready to read the Delancey Bros. lines within that Newsie side 1 as well please.
Please bring your picture and resume with you to your
audition, even if you think that we may already have one. Thank you!
A personal request: I know that many of you have been raised on the film or have seen past productions; however, I still strongly encourage you to read the script we have provided before auditioning (this includes the boys for Les!!). This will help to layer your POV and add heart and specifics to your work.
Find the heart and reality for these characters before tackling the vocal gymnastics otherwise, it's all just smoke and mirrors and we won't much care about your journey. They are not caricatures. The more specifics, the better.
KATHERINE: GUMPTION. GUMPTION. GUMPTION. She is not a soft wallflower. Katherine is a strong willed woman of action. She is also attracted to and intrigued by Jack. They have an immediate connection and we need to see that heart, that connection. They are matched energies and they challenge one another in all the best ways. Think Katharine Hepburn. WATCH WHAT HAPPENS has lots of words, but the song works so much better when you use the lyrics as text and really stay present in each moment/thought as you move through the material.
JACK: The Alpha Male. He is a natural and undisputable leader. He is Peter Pan to these Lost Boys. Yes, he is a man of action and forward motion; however, he also has poignant moments when he shows us some of his vulnerablity (i.e. at the mention of Davey and Les' family, Katherine's betrayal, Crutchie's imprisonment and the fear that his reality of "Santa Fe" may be just a picture in his mind). He is not a "wallower" by any means ("Santa Fe" is more of a Happy Thought and not a pity party), but these are moments where we get a glimpse of Jack's deeper inner life.
DAVEY: He is a peer to the Newsies and from a blue collar family, but Davey has more of a grounded and mature sensibilty. His "plan" is to get in, make money to help his family and go home until...Jack hits home with the need for a union to protect employees like his Dad. Then he is all in. He is "the brains" and matches Jack's determination to make things right.
MEDDA: She is a business owner in 1899...this is big. While she is strong, smart, savvy and not above using connections to achieve success (her relationship with the Governor) she is also grounded and real. She has a connection and soft spot for Jack and looks out for his welfare. She is a touchstone for him and sincerely wants to help him. Wicked and wonderful sense of wit...don't miss these fun moments.
*RICKY (Director)HAS REQUESTED THAT YOU ALSO BRING YOUR MUSIC BOOK*
**WHEN THERE ARE MULTIPLE SIDES/SHEET MUSIC SELECTIONS LISTED, WE WILL DETERMINE MATERIAL TO BE PERFORMED ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS.
** THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS FOR ROLES THAT MAY REQUIRE ADDITONAL INSTRUCTIONS. ALL OTHER ROLES ARE LABELED BY
CHARACTER IN THE DROPBOX FILE**
* JACK: For initial auditions and Director sessions: "Santa Fe" Please start at m49. Final Callbacks: We will hear all of "Santa Fe"
* KATHERINE: You will not be asked to dance until the week of 3/19. Please be sure to look at both the Girl's Newsies dance combination and, for tap, the "King of NY" combination. Both are in the Dropbox folder.
* CRUTCHIE: "Santa Fe" (audition cut) "Letter from the Refuge" (audition cut for initial auditions and Director session, full version for final callbacks).
* DAVEY: Initial auditions and Director session: "Sieze the Day" start with m21 Final Callbacks: Full version "Sieze the Day"
* NEWSIES: Although it's always best to look over all the material to be 100% prepared, "Carry the Banner" and "Once and For All" are the priorities. "Brooklyn's Here" will be mainly for SPOT and/or used as an extra.
* MEDDA: For initial auditions and Director sessions: "That's Rich" Please start at m44. Final Callbacks: We will hear all of "That's Rich"
ENSEMBLE: Please prepare sides for Hannah. There is sheet
music in the DB file (female ensemble), but please be sure to bring your music books as well.
MALE ENSEMBLE: -Side One: Please prepare both roles (Mayor and Snyder). -Side Two: Please prepare Roosevelt -Jacobi and Wiesel side: You can prep this as well if you feel you're in the ballpark for these roles (see breakdown below). This side has it's own folder in the Dropbox file. -There
is sheet music in the DB file, but please be sure to bring your music books as
* DELANCEY BROTHERS and NEWSIES will have the same material and will be auditioned as one
group. There is sheet music in the DB file, but please be sure to bring your
music books as well.
VIDEO AUDITION 411:
videos (with picture and resume listing height) must be emailed to info@Florescasting.com before March 6th.
- If you are not available to be seen in person in LA, then please: 1) Do your best to sing with piano and not recordings. 2) Slate your name, height and chat a bit so we get a sense of who you are.
prefer to see you in person at some point in the casting process. Please notify
casting if this is an issue before you submit your video.
over all details above (contract, dates, etc.) before submitting a video.
email videos using the following services: Youtube, Dropbox, Vimeo.
- Please EMAIL YOUR PIC AND RESUME along with your video link.
- We will
only accept videos with the requested audition material. Please read the scenes
and/or sing the requested songs.
- All roles that include dance or movement should tape
the choreo in the Dropbox. Any dance reels you have should also be sent.
AUDITION 411 FOR LES:
- PLEASE do not
coach him or hire someone else to coach him.
- As a parent myself, I can say
with 150% certainty that there is no other company I would entrust my
kids to as I would McCoy Rigby Entertainent. Not only are they
incredibly successful Producers, they are also well respected and
trusted (for good reason!).
- No one wants your child to do
better than we do, but PLEASE do not
coach him or hire someone else to coach him. In the end,
will end up doing them more harm than good. Please let them keep it as
real and simple as possible and allow us to help guide them so they wil
have the best of all possible outcomes.
* Start Date: Please check back for details...
* Rehearsals: These times are subject to change; however, this is the format we will most likely follow:
Weekday: 4pm to 7pm Weekend: 10am to 6pm
* Tech Week: TBD
* Salary: See above for Non Equity contracts.
JACK KELLY: To play 18 – 25 years
old, Caucasian. Handsome, passionate and charismatic leader of the Newsies. A
street-smart kid with a dark artistic soul right beneath the bluster. Not a
blowhard. This kid's the real thing. Must have a great pop tenor voice. Pop Tenor B2 -
be comfortable with movement.
KATHERINE PLUMBER: To play
18- 25 years old, Caucasian. The strong-willed daughter of Pulitzer. This young
lady drips smarts, opinions and confidence. A young Katherine Hepburn or Ellen
Page. This damsel needs no prince to save her. Must have a great
pop/contemporary musical theater voice with a high belt. Must dance and be comfortable with tap.
DAVEY: To play 18- 25 years old, Caucasian. A thinker. Raised in a
home as opposed to the other Newsies, Davey is the book-smart counterpoint to
the other boys. The voice of reason. A nice Jewish boy. Must have a great
contemporary tenor voice. Tenor C3 - A4. Should be comfortable with movement.
Tap ability a plus.
CRUTCHIE: Male, An adult to play 17-22 years old, any
ethnicity. A slight, sickly boy with a huge heart. He walks with the aid of a
crutch due to a bad leg, but that doesn't hold him back from being right in the
middle of any mischief. A real charmer. Solo so must be strong singer. Tenor A2 - A4. Mover a plus.
LES: Male, 10 -12 years old, Caucasian. The fearless kid brother
of Davey. Excited by everything the world has to offer and eager to join in the
adventure. Fun is this kid's middle name. Must sing well. Tenor C3 to G4. Should be
comfortable with movement. Tap ability a plus.
JOSEPH PULITZER: 40s, Caucasian. The boisterous forefather of
Wm. F. Buckley Jr, Glenn Beck and Rupert Murdoch. An on point, know it all,
politician. Impolite and impatient with the world. Must sing well. Baritone
C3 - F#4.
MEDDA: Female, 40s – 60s, any ethnicity. A vaudeville star of the
Bowery variety. Risqué, tough but is also a mother figure for the boys. Big voice (Mezzo Soprano F3 to E5 Belted) and GREAT comic delivery.
NEWSIES:To play 17-25. All
ethnicities. Strong character actors. Strong technically trained dancers. Tap
is a must. Sing well. TENOR 2 C3 to A4, TENOR 1 to C#. High energy, lots of heart and physicality. Acrobatics/tumbling a plus.
THE DELANCEY BROTHERS: To play 18-25. All ethnicities. Should stand out from the newsboys enough to bully them,
but potentially blend in for extra bodies in production numbers. Acting takes
priority, but should be at least comfortable with movement.
ADULT MALE ENSEMBLE: 40’s, any ethnicity. Must be a versatile character actor who
can portray several characters throughout (Mayor, Snyder, Roosevelt,
etc.). Strong actor who can also sing. All physical types.
WIESEL AND JACOBI: 40-50. Any ethnicity. Blue collar, working class guy. No nonsense. ADULT FEMALE ENSEMBLE: 20-30’s, any ethnicity. Two women to play
multiple roles. Needs
to have a good physique for when Bowery Beauty. One actress must be a good
character actress who possesses good comic timing for Hannah. Should at least
be comfortable with movement. Solid singer B2 to F4. Strong dancer a plus.